Household Hazardous Waste
- HHW - Program
- Becoming a Participant
- Acceptable Materials
- Packaging Instructions
The Upper Trinity Regional Water District provides a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program to communities that have contracted with us for participation. As a participant in the Program, your community could schedule special collection events. This is an opportunity for citizens to dispose of household hazardous waste, such as paint, cleaning compounds, insecticides, and herbicides, in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. Collection events such as these help keep pollutants out of our community waterways, drinking water sources, and landfills.
A collection event will be a shared responsibility between the District and the participating city. The District will bring its special mobile collection trailer to the event to provide a convenient and safe way to collect and transport the materials to the disposal center. The District will transport and dispose of the waste through a contract with the City of Fort Worth. After each collection event, the participating city will be billed based on the number of households who participate in the event. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the Household Hazardous Waste Coordinator at (972) 219-1228 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Becomming a Participant
The Upper Trinity Regional Water District (District) offers four different methods for individuals who wish to safely and responsibly dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).
Event: Deliver your HHW to a local collection event.
Citizens of a participating community receive a notice of the date
and time of the event.
Voucher: If your city is participating in the
District's program for collection of household hazardous waste, you
may pick up a voucher from the HHW coordinator for your city. When the voucher is used, your city will be billed.
Voucher: May be purchased by an individual directly
from the District at 900 N. Kealy in Lewisville.
- Fort Worth Voucher: May be purchased by an individual directly from the District at 900 N. Kealy in Lewisville.
How Does It Work?
- With a "Contract Voucher" or a "Fort Worth Voucher", deliver your HHW directly to the Environmental Collection Center, 6400 Bridge Street in Fort Worth.
- With an "Event Voucher", take your HHW directly to a specific mobile collection event already scheduled by the District in Denton County.
The voucher entitles one household to deliver that household's HHW (not a collection from neighbors) to the appropriate location. Just present the purchased voucher to the attending staff. That's it!!
HOW MUCH DO THE VOUCHERS COST? Rates for the voucher programs will be approved each fiscal year by the District's Board of Directors.
WHERE DO I GET MORE INFORMATION? For more information about the program, call the Upper Trinity Regional Water District at (972) 219-1228 and ask for the HHW Coordinator.
|Aerosol Cans||Fluorescent Lights||Paint Thinners|
|Batteries (car & household)||Gasoline||Pesticides|
|Craft Chemicals||Household Cleaners||Photo Chemicals|
|Hobby Chemicals||Items with Mercury||Pool Chemicals|
|Drain Cleaners||Oil Filters||Unwanted Fuel|
For your safety and to make the collection of materials more efficient, we request that you take these precautions prior to bringing materials to the collection site:
- If a product is still usable, try to give it to someone who can use it. It is not "waste" if it is something someone can use!
- Please bring liquid paint sorted by type (latex, oil-based, lead-based, etc.)
- Please keep chemicals in their containers. Place broken or leaking containers inside a second container or like materials (e.g., glass for corrosives, metal for flammables) and label properly.
- If container has no label and its contents are known, please place a label on the container clearly stating the contents.
- DO NOT transport chemicals in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. Put them in the trunk or bed of your truck.